Over the past several years, I have had a cult radio station within reach of my home. Over that time of occasional listening, I have tried to learn both what they believe and clues for methods to break through the darkness and reach those people.
During that time, I have marked the identifiers of what makes a cult in Christianity. We are still praying about how to reach these suffering souls who live in deep darkness.
Key markers of a cult. A cult has one or more of the following characteristics:
- False teachings about Jesus Christ. Teachings that Jesus is not the eternal savior, creator and king (John 1:1-14, Hebrews 1:1-14).
- The inclusion of the Civil and Ceremonial portions of the Mosaic Law into current life. This includes works-based salvation (Colossians 2:9-23).
- The belief that no one else has any hope outside their system of beliefs and membership. They are the only ones who will be saved (Romans 10:8-13).
Typical markers of a cult.
- A strong central figure as a leader (2 Timothy 2:1-6).
- Control over the people, which includes and requires isolation from outsiders (John 10:16).
- Over-emphasis on impending doom.
- The development of the “persecution complex”, expectation of hatred from outsiders.
- A incessant searching, twisting and teaching of world events and news to validate the distorted message.
I am seriously interested in your ideas on how we can reach into a cult to break the bondage. I am also very interested in your observations concerning the markers of a cult. Please comment.